Monday, January 11, 2010

:: LIFE :: I Love My Cat


There's no beating around the bush here.  My cat is rad and I friggin' love the girl.  And since her name will probably pop up a good three or four (hundred) times throughout my blogging career, I figure I should just introduce her to you now...



This is Belle du Jour; Belle for short.  I'm a huge
Secret Diary of a Call Girl fan, and yes, I named my cat after a prostitute.  But her name actually worked for two reasons: 1) Because I adore Billie Piper's portrayal of the SDCG protagonist, and 2) because when I decided to get a kitty, I spent a whole day going to shelters, seeing several adorable little kittens, before I saw her beautiful little face and knew that she had to be mine.  She was the most beautiful kitten I saw that day, hence, Belle du Jour, or "beauty of the day."

Now I am 100% for adopting pets and really urge people not to buy them at pet stores or from breeders unless they absolutely have to.  However, one should know that when adopting from places like the Humane Society, where I found my little girl, there can be some "details" that you'll need to tend to when you bring the little rug rat home.  Most of the time animals from shelters and/or Human Societies will need a good flea bath immediately!  If you're lucky, that will be all.  However in my case, I brought home a little girl with fleas AND parasites -- what fun!  The flea issue was irradicated with a bath and some drops, but my poor baby Belle had some [ahem] "tummy" issues, which was the first sign something was wrong.  Also, even though she was eating regularly, she was itty bitty, weighing barely three pounds at eight weeks old.  To make a
very long story short, I spent about 2 or 3 months, and many many dollars, shuttling back and forth to the vet and shoving medicine down her throat with those ominous little droppers in an effort to rid her tiny body of both coccidia AND giardia -- two very evil types of pests!  But don't worry, aside from the wild rumpus that must have been taking place on her insides, she was the happiest little kitty on the outside.  Her energy and curiosity astounded me given that she was as sick as she was.  Luckily we made it through together and now she's my best little buddy!  My nutty little buddy.  If you ever wondered where the phrase "curiosity killed the cat" came from, stop!   The person who coined that phrase obviously knew my cat...

{cue Joe Cocker's "You Are So Beautiful"}

 







Let the crazy cat lady comments commence!

No comments:

Post a Comment