Tuesday, February 2, 2010

:: HOME :: Wishful Thinking

Because I am who I am and have already started scouting possible apartments in the city even though the projected moving date is at least a good month away, the wheels in my head have started turning, too, with design ideas and wish lists for my future apartment.  Here are just a couple of bits of inspiration that I'm keeping in mind for when that joyous day actually does come...

{Kishani Perera via coco + kelley}


{Skona Hem via decor8}


{Emily Henson via design*sponge}

I find these living rooms/sitting areas to be utterly fantastic.  I love color, but I love the brightness and airiness of white, too.  I also love grey in all shades!  If I could make the main room of my future apartment look half as beautiful as any of these bold and peaceful rooms, I would be content.


{Emily Henson via design*sponge}

{Polly Wreford via desire to inspire}

I selected these simple and fun dining areas keeping in mind that my first San Francisco apartment isn't likely to have much space for dining.  Both of these examples would be happily at home in an eat-in kitchen or, at the very least, a small alcove near the kitchen should an actual dining room be lacking.

{Kishani Perera via coco + kelley}

{Stella Nicolaisen via desire to inspire}

{Emily Henderson via desire to inspire}

{Canadian House & Home via A Great Full Day}

Along with grey, I also love green, and the first bedroom is amazing!  The deep, dark green makes this bedroom look very sultry and comforting -- heavy like a big down comforter.  I find the neutrals in the second bedroom give the same feeling of comfort without the divineness of the green room.  It's rustic and lived in.  And the last two bedrooms are just so happy and, dare I say it, girlie.  I'm not one to go overboard on the "girlish" decor... actually I tend to stay away from it when possible.  But something about these two bedrooms would make me feel very in tune with my femininity, in a European "I love being a girl" kind of way.


Last, but definitely not least, this example of open clothes storage from desire to inspire is what I have always longed for.  It's like the clothes have their very own home and you get to invite yourself over to play dress up with them.  It would be a dream to have an extra space -- be it an alcove or a tiny room -- to house my wardrobe and be able to see my fabulous friends together all at once.  I think seeing all the facets of one's wardrobe at once is key to inspiring great outfits.  My only question about this picture is... where are the rest of the clothes??

And while checking out my favorite blogs for inspiration, I came across this ingenious project from design*sponge.  It's a handy, dandy, DIY Take-Out Menu binder to store and organize all those pesky menus that you inevitably collect over the years whether you actually use them or not.  I happen to love to eat out just as much as I love to cook -- sometimes things do just taste better when someone else makes them.  I'm also a little OCD and if I can alphabetize something, you better believe I'll do it.  So seeing that I'll be moving to what I consider the best food city in the country, and will have at least a dozen eateries within walking distance of my future apartment, I thought this would be a great project for me to do and share with you!

And of course, I'll also be rifling through my sister's blog, Today and Yesterday, for more ideas and great tips!  Not only does she have fabulous inspiration but great design resources, too.  Can't wait to get crackin'!


No comments:

Post a Comment