Monday, February 18, 2013

:: LIFE :: The Importance of Being Lazy


Okay maybe not lazy, per se, but having the ability to let it all go once in a while, which is exactly what I did last Wednesday.

Take a note from this guy: the Red Panda, known for his sedentary lifestyle.  The next time you feel like you're running yourself ragged, congratulate yourself on all that you've already accomplished and take a day off.



I finally decided last week to give myself a little more structure while I'm off of work so that, even though I'm nowhere near short on time these days, I wouldn't be wasting any of my free time with stupid little things like figuring out how to plan my day.  So I committed myself to being responsibly productive Monday & Tuesday, Thursday & Friday, while Wednesday would be my adventure day and the weekends would be up for grabs.  

What's that?  What kind of adventures you ask?  Well I admittedly haven't explored San Francisco nearly enough for having been a full-time resident for just about 3 years now, so finding cheesy sightseeing, touristy things to do made sense.  I also thought it would be great to use Wednesdays for self-exploration as well; things like taking a photography or salsa class.  So I did a bunch of research and found list upon list of adventures I could go on.  When Wednesday finally rolled around the adventure I chose was (drumroll please!)… doing absolutely nothing.

When I woke up that morning, having not set an alarm for the first time all week, I realized I was absolutely spent.  I had started my awesome (yet brutal) Pure Barre classes the Friday before and worked out hard everyday since, had a full weekend, and had followed through on being totally productive that Monday and Tuesday.  By the time Wednesday rolled around, my body and mind couldn't quite handle an adventure.  So I threw in the towel, said "screw it," and lazed around my house all… day… long…  It was fantastic!

Though at first I could feel little moments of guilt trying to get it -- "You're going to regret this. You're not accomplishing anything." -- I quickly realized that I had accomplished things and had been doing so for the last five days straight.  I deserved a day off, dammit!  And the rest of the day I relished in that very thought: I deserve this.  By bedtime that night, I felt so rested that I was a little concerned I enjoyed my day too much.  What if I don't want to do anything again tomorrow?

To my delight and slight surprise, I was up before my alarm the next morning and rearing to get to my Pure Barre class.  That's right -- I was actually excited about working my quads so hard that they would burn and shake to the point of excessive lactic acid build up, making me want to cry and ralph all at the same time (I swear, it's a good feeling...sometimes).  As soon as I was up I knew that greeting yesterday with the wild abandon of not caring at all was exactly what I needed to avoid what would eventually hit me at probably the most inopportune time: burnout.  Not only did I get the rest I needed, but my lazy day gave me a boost to be even more productive and attack the rest of the week like I never had before!

Unfortunately that meant I was so occupied I didn't have time to post all week -- eek!  But I'm back, with a vengeance, and planning some great new posts to share with you.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment