Sunday, February 10, 2013

:: SAN FRANCISCO :: NoPA, Eat Your Heart Out!

No really.  Prepare to stock your kitchens and stomachs with some of SF's finest foods.  And don't forget the beverages!  Here's what's new to the up-and-coming neighborhood of NoPa (North of the Panhandle) this season:

Wine Kitchen :: now open!
With it's doors opening early last month, Wine Kitchen has quickly become a Divisadero hot spot, and for good reason.  One of those reasons: wine on tap.  I'm not exactly sure what the actual benefits of wine on tap are, but I do know that it's another way to get the wine to my mouth and I fully support that.  Specializing in (duh) wine, the staff is incredibly knowledgeable and helpful if you're like me and all you know about wine is that it tastes damn good.

Another reason for the non-stop nightly crowds: the bar-sized menu of very un bar-like food.  As much as I don't mind rejoicing in some greasy, I'm-gonna-pay-for-this bar food every one in a while, why not enjoy my libations (yes, they have beer too) with some delectable speck or frisée?  I can already recommend the soft egg and kale combo, and since it's only a couple blocks from me, I plan on working my way through the whole menu in no time.

As for the scene, it's small, dark and intimate -- just as good for a date spot or grabbing a table with the girls.  My favorite part about Wine Kitchen is that it has that great, neighborhood feel to it.  It's not too flashy for Divisadero, nor is it reserved for only the hippest of hipsters.  It really feels like a spot where everyone is welcome and that everyone can enjoy, and I think NoPa should be proud to claim ownership of this new neighborhood-anchoring venue.

{via winekitchensf.com}

The Mill :: reopening February 12th
Apparently The Mill has been quite the thing on Divisadero since last July, but in a rather obscure nature.  Maybe I simply passed by it without recognition because it was less of a store front than it was a temporary booth serving only drip coffee and toast.  However, it closed its doors (err, tarps?) in mid-January for a total makeover and will soon become an actual coffee shop.

I only recently took notice as I was passing the construction site one day and saw the tell-tale sign of a modern business with a classic sensibility: a white subway tile facade.  I mean, setting the scene in any eatery is half the battle, and going with the classic, timeless look of subway tiles circa 1906 San Francisco is this new establishment's way of brightening up the hood while holding on to it's historic roots.

Given that The Mill is a collaboration between local favorites Four Barrel Coffee and Josey Baker Bread, I think it's safe to say that this will be a huge hit beyond just the decor.  And given my eternal desire to be Parisian, I'm always excited about a good ol' cafe bakery.  You better believe I'll be there for the opening, and I'll be sure to provide an update with a review.


Bi-Rite Market :: opening March
There are a few local spots that others may use to gauge how San Franciscan you really are based on your familiarity and regular attendance of them.  One of those is Bi-Rite Market.  With it's origin in the ultra-hip(ster) Mission, I would say it's only one part cult favorite + three heaping parts really great market.  Featuring tons of local vendors, they really demonstrate a stewardship for the smaller, hard-working vendors.  Prices may be on the higher side, but provided their mission, "Creating community through food," you know where your money is going when you shop here and you can feel good about showing your support.

Now you're probably asking yourself, what about the creamery?  And my tastebuds are happy to tell you that the market will be large enough to include not only the famous Bi-Rite Creamery (sans lines around the corner in the biting cold), but also a full-sized cheese counter.  Of course, neither of those are really allowed on my current track towards my goal body, but I feel better knowing that, in a time of  emotional crisis, temporary, delicious self-destruction is only a couple blocks away.

{via biritemarket.com}


What do you love about our great city??  To keep up with more exciting SF news and places, follow me on Pinterest!
Follow Me on Pinterest
*c

No comments:

Post a Comment