Friday, October 3, 2014

:: INSPIRE :: The Ballerina Project

So, I rarely say this, but I could have done without this Friday. Work was a bit too much for me today, so I've escaped the sometimes mind-numbing doldrums of the home office for the more socialized, sun-filled setting of my local coffee shop. Also, they serve beer.

But in the midst of the continuous influx of less-than-happy emails, I took a brief break to check my personal email and came across this little gem in Well+Good's newsletter...

http://instagram.com/ballerinaproject_

I grew up dancing -- ballet, tap, jazz, modern, contemporary, etc. -- and it was my life for a good 12 years, but I was never dedicated enough to make it into a career. Plus, my body kind of started breaking down on me (and never really stopped). However, it's still one of the greatest joys in life for me. Whether it's watching the Romeo & Juliet pas de deux, or just putting some great tunes on the jukebox and dancing up a sweat, the joy I feel from dance is matched by few other experiences in life. And given that my feet were never great, I get insanely inspired (and jealous) at the sight of a technically beautiful pointed foot..... like, seriously.

So when I came across these stunning images by photographer Dane Shitagi, I was immediately inspired. I've recently made feeble efforts to resume formal dance classes, which was an eye-opening experience (oy, my back!). And while I still plan to make dance a more regular part of my life, these images reminded me that, whether through dance or other means, I want to feel this inspired everyday, and that I have the means and the ability to do so. So even when work is challenging, I'm reminded of the reasons why I love my job. And even though I may feel generally lost or stuck at times, I remember all of the things that brings me joy and I figure out how to bring even the littlest sliver of those into my life. It may not be the prima ballerina dream that I envisioned when I was a little girl putting on her first tutu, but it keeps me on track and helps me find the appropriate version for my adult life.

What inspires you? How do you use that to keep you on track?

*c

No comments:

Post a Comment