Tuesday, February 9, 2010

:: LIFE :: Goal Tracker Update 2/9/10


Before I get to the goals at hand I just want to say, it’s official: I’m a working girl!  As I sit typing, I’m on the train to work (desperately hoping it’s the right train) and uber excited.  I know this week is going to be a HUGE shock for me – going from days on end with no place to be, to working 9 to 5, five days a week – but I am actually thrilled to be working again.  I even get a desk!   Yesterday was my first day and I had A LOT of information thrown at me, but I was less overwhelmed than I thought I would be, which is a good sign I guess.  While they knew I wasn’t that technically inclined when they hired me, I am working for a web-based company so my capacity for technical knowledge will have to go into ultra-super overdrive now.  I’ll be sure to let you know how the rest of my first week goes.  And now, back to the remaining goals…


:: move to San Francisco           

I had a wee bit of a rude awakening regarding this goal last weekend as I consulted with my mom about the future.  She reminded me that while I will be capable of moving out once the money starts rolling in, I do have some credit cards that need to be paid off and she suggested that I get those down before I do any relocating… L.   Still, it won’t be too long before I move, but I think the more likely move-out date will be closer to April 1st rather than March.  I suppose I can deal.  I mean, it is my fault I have the credit cards to pay off anyway.  But true to form, I still look at apartments online just about everyday – it’s motivational ;).

:: read more books

I’m getting close – so close to finishing Eat, Pray, Love and it’s so good!  I kept telling my mom that she had to read it, so yesterday we stopped at the bookstore and bought a copy for her and my sister, at my urging.  And for someone who hasn’t been much of a reader in the past, I walked out of that bookstore with some new material of my own; four new books, to be exact.  As I’ve explained before, I have a bit of a shopping problem, and books are no exception.  But I am really excited about my future reads, one of which being Committed, Elizabeth Gilbert’s follow-up to Eat, Pray, Love.  I’ll be adding the rest of my new books to my GoodReads page today.

:: learn to meditate

So one of the many things that Eat, Pray, Love has inspired me to do is meditate.  I’ve always been curious about it and have wanted to do it, but this book really made me want to make that a priority, so I’ve added it to the goal list.  I’m going to have to do a little research figure out which style would suit me, in addition to where I can learn more about the ancient practice and how to do it.  While I'm at it I would also love to get back to my beloved Bikram yoga.  Should be a fulfilling quest…

:: lose 15 lbs.

So yeahhh…  This goal, not surprisingly, is by far the most frustrating.  I’ve been working out more than I ever have in my life and I can’t seem to lose any weight.  And the lack of weight loss is definitely not due to muscle gain because those fleshy little love handles haven’t even gone away, and those are usually the first sign that I’m making progress.  I’m not sure I understand this evil resistance to calorie burning that my body is experiencing, but I will get to the bottom of this!

:: relearn French

I’m beginning to doubt my inclusion of this on my list of goals because I’m not making any progress as of yet.  Unlike the previous goal, I haven’t even tried, mainly because between the working out, the reading, the baby shower and my new job I’m not sure when I have the time to review my old college textbooks on the subject.  On the bright side, now that I have this bonus time on the train every morning and night, I think I’ll come up with a schedule for how to utilize it: i.e., Mondays – blogging, Tuesdays – reading, Wednesdays – French, and so on and so forth.  By George, I think that just might work!


So you see I’m creating quite the busy life for myself these days, which is actually something I’m cool with because there’s just so much I want to do and it’s about time I hopped to it.  I don’t want to feel like I’ve wasted time in this life—well, more time.  I’m a recovering procrastinator and this goal tracker is like my AA or something – you know, like steps to take to help me break the habit.  I have no doubt keeping a full-time job will make this all a little harder, but you can’t really call it “achievement” if you didn’t have to work to get for it, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment